Ephemera

 Thumbnail CreatorDateTitle / Author / Date Price  Description
226Coming Soon!DetailsAnonymous 
Helfricht's label
Anonymous
$20.00AnonymousHelfricht-s-labelOld antique maritime nautical mapsellers label by Helfricht
1002Coming Soon!DetailsSébille, Albert 
Normandie cutaway deck plan
Sébille, Albert
$140.00Sébille--AlbertNormandie-cutaway-deck-planFolding cutaway drawing or longitudinal deck plan for French Line ship Normandie (1935-1940). Built for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique in 1935, the Normandie was the fastest passenger ship of that era, and many consider her to be the greatest of all ocean liners. In 1942 the Normandie sank at Pier 88 in the Hudson River. This folded plan was printed by Albert Sebille.
469Coming Soon!Detailsvan Campen, Jacob1661
Architecture Title Page
van Campen, Jacob
1661
$275.00van-Campen--JacobArchitecture-Title-PageBeautifully engraved title page to a volume of architectural drawings of the Amsterdam state house by artist Jacob Vennekool. The town hall was built by Jacob van Campen from 1648-55. The title page is adorned with putti playing trumpets and with symbols reflecting the importance of navigation and sea exploration to Amsterdam: ships, anchor, cannon, and three backstaffs, as well as two nude figures representing New World natives. Less than 50 years earlier, in 1614 the Dutch had founded a trading post in lower Manhattan that would later be call 'New Amsterdam'. <BR> </BR> This page was published by Frederick de Widt (de Wit) in Amsterdam ca. 1661. Wit, a printer, publisher, and map seller, is well known today for the atlases and charts he published from Amsterdam in the mid to late 17th century.
216Coming Soon!DetailsMichelot and Bremond1730
Title Page - Recueil de Plusieurs Plans des Ports et Rades
Michelot and Bremond
1730
$475.00Michelot-and-BremondTitle-Page---Recueil-de-Plusieurs-Plans-des-Ports-et-RadesTitle page to "Recueil de Plusieurs Plans des Ports et Rades de la Mer Mediterranee", <a rel="nofollow" href= "/MichelotBremondBackground.aspx">Henry Michelot and Laurens Bremond's</a> quarto-sized atlas of Mediterranean ports and harbors published between 1727 and 1730. This elaborately engraved title page is very rarely found alone, usually only as one of the 38 plates in a copy of the complete Michelot and Bremond atlas. <BR> </BR> Interesting note is that on the bottom neatline, previously engraved wording has been hastily covered over before printing, with just top and bottom of characters still visible.
1056Coming Soon!DetailsMichelot and Bremond1730
Michelot Title Page - Recueil de Plusieurs Plans des Ports et Rades (2)
Michelot and Bremond
1730
$215.00Michelot-and-BremondMichelot-Title-Page---Recueil-de-Plusieurs-Plans-des-Ports-et-Rades-(2)Title page to "Recueil de Plusieurs Plans des Ports et Rades de la Mer Mediterranee", <a rel="nofollow" href= "/MichelotBremondBackground.aspx">Henry Michelot and Laurens Bremond's</a> quarto-sized atlas of Mediterranean ports and harbors published between 1727 and 1730. This elaborately engraved title page is very rarely found alone, usually only as one of the 38 plates in a copy of the complete Michelot and Bremond atlas. <BR> </BR> Interesting note is that on the bottom neatline, previously engraved wording has been hastily covered over before printing, with just top and bottom of characters still visible.
423Coming Soon!DetailsLe Rouge, George1757
Title Page from Recueil des Cotes Maritimes de France
Le Rouge, George
1757
$100.00Le-Rouge--GeorgeTitle-Page-from-Recueil-des-Cotes-Maritimes-de-FranceTitle page in landscape format from an atlas of the coasts of France printed in 1757. The copperplate engraving shows a scene of ships navigating near a rocky coast inset into a decorative scroll-work cartouche decorated with implements of war. Dedicated to the Comte de Clermont.<BR> </BR> George Le Rouge was a Paris-based engineer and surveyor originally from Germany who had a shop on the Rue Des Grands Augustins. Le Rouge's tireless work earned him the title "Geographe du Roi".
671Coming Soon!DetailsAnonymous1820
Blank shipping document from du Roveray and Company of Havre
Anonymous
1820
$195.00AnonymousBlank-shipping-document-from-du-Roveray-and-Company-of-HavreRare blank maritime shipping document dates from 1820's from du Roveray & Co. of Havre, France. With an image of a sailing ship at upper left. This template shipping document was designed so that the shipper could enter pertinent standard contractual information in the blank areas: ship's name, master's name, destination, recipients name, freight rate, number of bills of lading, and date. <br></br> The engraved document begins <div class="indenttextblock">"Shipped in good order and well-conditioned by DU ROVERAY & Co. of Havre; in and upon the good [blank] called the [blank] whereof is Master, for this present voyage [blank] now riding at anchor in the Port of Harve, & bound for [blank] to say [blank] …"<div>
561Coming Soon!DetailsGyselynck, F and E1840
Ghent Ship Brokers Porcelain Trade Card
Gyselynck, F and E
1840
$120.00Gyselynck--F-and-EGhent-Ship-Brokers-Porcelain-Trade-CardAntique ornately printed and decorated 19th century Belgian porcelain trade card for B. Kreps, A. Van Engelen, & F. Leys. Gend.”, Office and Company of Ship Brokers and Builders ("Courtiers de navires, Scheeps-Makelaars, Shiffsmakler"). Elaborate typography and Illustrations include: at top a ribbon design with words in Flemish describing the firm’s services; the firm’s name within a central cartouche design of seashell and anchor, illustrations of sailing ships at either side; and firm’s street address in Ghent beneath; printed in metallic ink and blue on shiny white card stock (hence name Porcelain Card). Name of Lithographer in Ghent lower left: "F & E Gyselynk".
1174Coming Soon!DetailsMarsily and Christiansen1845
Trade card for Antwerp ship chandlers Marsily and Christiansen
Marsily and Christiansen
1845
$140.00Marsily-and-ChristiansenTrade-card-for-Antwerp-ship-chandlers-Marsily-and-ChristiansenRare porcelain trade card for Antwerp ship chandlers Marsily and Christiansen. On coated card stock. English text touts " Marine Stores of all descriptions" including: <div class="indenttextblock"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>Charts</li> <li>Instruments</li> <li>Sheathing, copper and zinc</li> <li>Sugars</li> <li>Gin</li> <li>Wines for exportation</li> <li>Assortment of fowling pieces and pistols.</li> <li>Chain cables and anchors</li> </ul> </div> The process of coating paper stock was developed in England, but was used most extensively in continental Europe, particularly Belgium. The 1840s and 1850s saw the advent of the Belgian "porcelain cards," sumptuously designed and beautifully printed trade cards whose high-gloss finish had the look of porcelain. <br></br> The firm Marsily and Christiansen was located at 1st Dock Antwerp. (Date is calculated as 20 years after the 1825 publishing date of a Norrie nautical chart where the Marsily and Christiansen seller's stamp is present.)
749Coming Soon!DetailsAnonymous1846
Antique Manuscript Playbill from the East India Company Ship Herefordshire
Anonymous
1846
$800.00AnonymousAntique-Manuscript-Playbill-from-the-East-India-Company-Ship-HerefordshireVery unusual and scarce manuscript theatrical playbill from a known British East India Company trading ship dated within at January 23, 1846. On long voyages in order to entertain passengers, ships would sometimes offer music, dancing, and plays to make the tedious voyage more enjoyable. This rare survivor documents such a theatrical offering aboard the East Indiaman "Herefordshire" as it returned from a voyage that began in London in 1845 and terminated in Bombay, England on Feb. 28, 1846 [1]. <br></br> The Herefordshire was an old 40-gun, 1600 ton teak-built ship of the East India Company, launched in Bombay in 1812 by John Money. Her Captain was George Richardson. <br></br> This rare playbill reads: "THEATRE ROYAL of the HEREFORDSHIRE Under the Distinguished Patronage of the LADIES & CAPTAIN RICHARDSON Jan 23rd 1846. This Evening her Majesty's Servants will perform a New Drama entitled the PENRYN TRAGEDY, with New Scenery, Dresses, &c. </br> ...</br> ...</br> Act 1st Scene 1st</br> The Sailors of HER MAJESTY's SHIP Brittannia making merry in the Green Dragon.</br> ...</br> ...</br> The Whole to Conclude with the Popular Farce BILLY BUTTON the TAILOR ...</br> ..</br> Doors open at 6 o'clock. Performance to commence at 7. For tickets of Admission apply to Mr. Maynard, Stage Manager No. 9 Starboard Terrace, Capstan Square, Gun deck road. … <br></br> This rare, unusual and interesting piece of nautical ephemera should interest collectors of both the theater and nautical history. It is a document from the end of the East India Company's control of India. The East India Company dissolved in 1858 with Britain exerting direct control after the India Rebellion of 1857. Watermarked "Ward and Son. 1842." <br></br> Price to be determined. <br></br> [1] "Allen's Indian Mail and Register of Intelligence for British and Foreign India." 1845 and 1846. </br> [2] Berncastle, Julius. "A Voyage to China". William Shoberl. London, 1850.
1108Coming Soon!DetailsSteam Tug Agency1856
Rate Sheet and Invoice for Maltese Steam Tug Dragon
Steam Tug Agency
1856
$375.00Steam-Tug-AgencyRate-Sheet-and-Invoice-for-Maltese-Steam-Tug-DragonFascinating piece of mid-nineteenth century Maltese maritime history. Tugboat rate sheet with manuscript invoice for towing services performed by the steam tug "Dragon". The Dragon was a 40 horsepower paddle-wheel steam tug operating out of the port of Valetta, Malta, then a part of the British Empire. <div class="indenttextblock"> …. "the arrival of steam propulsion opened a new chapter in the history of Maltese maritime trade. The port of Valletta became an important bunkering station and this position was further strengthened with the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869.<br> …<br> The ‘Dragon’ was one of the earliest steam tugboats operating in the Grand Harbour and Marsamxett. She arrived at Malta from Newcastle early in December 1855 and on arrival she was immediately placed in service under the command of Captain William Donkin. A circular distributed to the commercial community by the owners of the ‘Dragon’ makes interesting reading. ( First International Merchant Bank 2002 Annual Report. <a href="https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwjY7uSp9s_NAhXC5CYKHW1kCl4QFgguMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fimbank.com%2Ffile.aspx%3Ff%3D654&usg=AFQjCNFNxUU_FaX6kLpA-GcOiolsVGSm6g&sig2=K9DkC_MLyepdArQHbbV5WQ&cad=rja " target="_blank">Internet</a> </div> <br> <em>"NOTICE TO SHIPMASTERS <br></br> The steam Tug "Dragon" tows vessels in and out and about the ports of Valetta at the following rates: …<br> …<br> … The signal to be used by vessels coming from seaward or in port requiring the tug's services will be to hoist the national ensign at the fore topgallant or royal mast head. Special services subject to agreement with John C. Swift, ship-chandler Malta or Capt. William Donkin on board."</em>
458Coming Soon!DetailsWilson, G.W.1857
H.M.S. Impregnable
Wilson, G.W.
1857
$150.00Wilson--G-W-H-M-S--ImpregnableAttractively framed by branches, this stereoview of the British second-rate ship of the line H.M.S. Impregnable from 1857 was created by Scottish photographer G.W. Wilson. All three gun decks are clearly visible as the ship sits at anchor in Hamoaze, near Plymouth, England. The Impregnable, a close copy of Nelson's "Victory" was launched in 1811 and later refitted as a guard-ship. She saw action in the bombardment of Algiers in 1816. From 1862 to 1886 the Impregnable was used as a training ship for British naval cadets.<BR> </BR> With two cancelled U.S. revenue stamps on the verso. Number 313. Manuscript annotation on verso reads: "Rundlet 27".
1110Coming Soon!DetailsImagerie de P. Didion1860
Mid-Nineteenth Century French Fencing Certificate
Imagerie de P. Didion
1860
$250.00Imagerie-de-P--DidionMid-Nineteenth-Century-French-Fencing-Certificate"Diplôme d'une spécialité d'escrime". Two-color lithographed and hand-colored blank fencing certificate or diploma. In this certificate the combatants are using sabre-like weapons with no hand guard, perhaps wooden practice weapons . Similar martial-arts certificates were issued for a number of French sword and stick fencing ( escrime ) styles. Common all these 19th century 'brevet' is that onloookers, presumably including signatories to the certificate, view the mock combat in military regalia surrounded by emblems and mottos of the French state. Other simlar brevet exist for pointe ( foil ), bâton, and canne. <br></br> Publisher's attribution reads: Imagerie de P. Didion, a Metz. Dehalt Successeur.
993Coming Soon!DetailsAnonymous1866
Steamboat Bill of Lading for Valence Plantation
Anonymous
1866
$500.00AnonymousSteamboat-Bill-of-Lading-for-Valence-PlantationRare post civil war shipping document, a "Bill of Lading", for the steamboat <b>Belle Ida</b> to transport items from New Orleans, Louisiana to Valence Plantation, along Bayou Lafourche, in Assumption Parish. <b>Valence Plantation</b> was most likely located near the current-day town of Supreme, just a few miles south of the well-known Madewood Plantation and Naploeonville, Louisiana. Dated within to February 9th, 1866. The bill of lading was filled in by hand at time of shipping, and is addressed to J.B. Savage, Valence Plantation, Bayou Lafourche. <br></br> Bayou Lafourche has not been navigable from the Mississippi River since 1905 when a dam was built at Donaldsonville, La. but prior to that time the waterway served as an important commercial artery. <br></br> The Belle Ida was likely a stern-wheel steamboat built in 1861 (Wooldbride Steamboat List. <a href="https://www.umsl.edu/mercantile/collections/pott-library-special-collections/assets/pdf/collections/Woold_Ridge_Steamboat_list.pdf" target="_blank">Internet </a>). With a stock logo of a side-wheel steamboat by T. Fitzwilliam, Stationer and Printer, 76 Camp Stret, N.O. <br></br> Symonds, Courtney and Co. were Tobacco Factors and General Forwarding and Commission Merchants located at No. 35 Natchez Street, New Orleans, LA. With a glued 2 cent stamp within. Addressed on verso. <br></br> The items shipped from New Orleans by Symonds Courtney and Co. included: <ul style="list-style-type: none;"> <li>1 sack of harnesses</li> <li>1 bundle of bridles</li> <li>5 cases of sundries</li> <li>10 head of mules</li> <li>1 horse</li> <ul/>
398Coming Soon!DetailsFreeman, Josiah1873
Bark Ashore at Surfside
Freeman, Josiah
1873
$270.00Freeman--JosiahBark-Ashore-at-SurfsideStereoview phoby Nantucket photographer Joseph Freeman of the sailing bark Minmaneuth aground near Miacomet Pond on Nantucket's south shore. The vessel was enroute from Rio de Janiero to Boston with 4000 bags of coffee when she came ashore. The Minmaneuth was lightened of its load and refloated. The grounding had a positive result in that it prompted construction of a lifesaving station at Surfside beach. The stereoview shows passengers, shaded by parasols, sitting atop bags of coffee as they wait for the rest of the cargo to be unloaded. <BR> </BR> The Nantucket Historical Association describes Freeman as the first of three great 19th century Nantucket photographers including Henry Wyer and Harry Platt. Josiah Freeman first opened a shop with David Coffin on the island in 1864 and remained in business until retirement in 1892. ( Historic Nantucket, Vol 35, no. 2 (Oct. 1987), p. 12-14)
388Coming Soon!DetailsBell, Richard1877
Cruise of the U.S. Flagship Richmond
Bell, Richard
1877
$2,400.00Bell--RichardCruise-of-the-U-S--Flagship-RichmondLarge antique lithographed vaval poster, a momento from the Atlantic and Pacific cruise of the U.S. <b>wooden steam-sloop Richmond</b> during 1872 to 1877. This poster-sized lithograph documents the crew and ports of call for the Richmond from the time it was put on commission at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on November 18, 1872 until it was decomissioned at the Boston Navy Yard in September 1877. <BR> </BR> The Richmond had a long history of heroic service from the time it was launched in 1860. The sloop saw much action during the Civil War as part of the <b>Gulf Blockading Squadron</b> at the head of passes in the Mississippi River. The sloop was damaged during several engagments including an attack by David Farragut's squadron against Mobile bay, and an attack on Port Hudson. The valor of the crew on that vessel resulted in awards of the Medal of Honor to 32 marine guard and crew members, more than any other Union vessel in the Civil War. <BR> </BR> Lists the crew, oficers, and marine guard by name and rate. The print also contains a description of the ship's armaments and statistics: 259 feet length overall, draft 17.6 feet, engine, and much more. <BR> </BR> We have been unable to locate another copy anywhere of this print that was apparently designed as a souvenier for the ship's crew. Probably very few copies were printed as the officers, marine guard and crew totaled only about 300.<BR> </BR> Bottom section lists the numerous ports visted during the entire cruise of 60,583 1/4 miles with both arrival and departure dates. The cruise included a transit of the Strait of Magellan and visits to San Francisco and many other Pacific ports of call on the west coast of South and Central America. Compiled by Richard Bell, Yeoman. Printed by Rand, Avery and Company. Boston.<BR> </BR>
210Coming Soon!DetailsFreeman, Josiah1880
Stereoview- Nantucket.
Freeman, Josiah
1880
$100.00Freeman--JosiahStereoview--Nantucket-Stereoview ca 1870-80 by Josiah Freeman of Nantucket. Scene looking out over Nantucket rooftops and gardens with a steam paddle wheeler rounding Brant Point Light House in the distance.<BR> </BR> The Nantucket Historical Association describes Freeman as the first of three great 19th century Nantucket photographers including Henry Wyer and Harry Platt. Josiah Freeman first opened a shop with David Coffin on the island in 1864 and remained in business until retirement in 1892. ( Historic Nantucket, Vol 35, no. 2 (Oct. 1987), p. 12-14)
133Coming Soon!DetailsAnonymous1882
Track Chart Norddentsher Lloyd, Bremen
Anonymous
1882
$125.00AnonymousTrack-Chart--Norddentsher-Lloyd--BremenSmall ship's track chart / nautical map of Atlantic Ocean produced by the Norddentsher Lloyd shipping company that was used by a passenger to track his progress on a Transatlantic cruise. Details the daily position and miles made good on a voyage from Sandy Hook, New Jersey to England between August 31 and September 8, 1887 with a Captain Richler. With an inset of a steamer underway.
134Coming Soon!DetailsAnonymous1882
Track Chart Anchor Line Transatlantic Service
Anonymous
1882
$135.00AnonymousTrack-Chart--Anchor-Line-Transatlantic-ServiceSmall antique ship's track chart of the Atlantic Ocean produced by the Anchor Line shipping company and used by passenger "Bertie Brown" to track his progress on a Transatlantic cruise. Details the daily position on a voyage from Ireland to New York departing September 29, 1882. Document on card stock folds into 3 parts. Front cover lists vessels owned by Anchor Line with their tonnage. With a profile view of a steamer underway. Expands to 10"x6".
158Coming Soon!DetailsMugnier, George Francois1884
Lower Levee, Shipping
Mugnier, George Francois
1884
$200.00Mugnier--George-FrancoisLower-Levee--ShippingHandsome, detailed, antique albumen cabinet card by New Orleans photographer George Francois Mugnier, taken early in his career circa 1884. Subjects are several 3-masted sailing vessels docked at a New Orleans wharf. Vessel closest to the wharf has sails partially unfurled, possibly to allow them to dry. Also, in the far backround a sailor is seen climbing the rigging of another ship. <BR> </BR> The ship farthest from the wharf can be identified under magnification as the "Glen Grant". On the Canadian Heritage on-line reference library we find 5 voyages by a vessel named "Glen Grant" (official # 69115) to the U.S. Gulf Coast including a round-trip voyage from England to a single Gulf port, unnamed, departing September 1882, returning March 1883. It is possible that this photo was taken during that voyage by Mugnier. <BR> </BR> Bottom of photo reads: "Mugnier, Photographer Exchange Place N.O. La." Mugnier (1855-1936) achieved fame as a photographer with his 1885 photographs of the World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition in New Orleans. Number 538. Blank, pinkish verso.
1130Coming Soon!DetailsOcean Steamship Company of Savannah1886
Antique Trade Card for the Ocean Steamship Company of Savannah Georgia
Ocean Steamship Company of Savannah
1886
$180.00Ocean-Steamship-Company-of-SavannahAntique-Trade-Card-for-the-Ocean-Steamship-Company-of-Savannah-GeorgiaVery scarce trade card for the Ocean Steamship Company of Savannah. This antique trade card records the names of steamships and their sailing dates for this Savannah, Georgia based shipping company. <br></br> The Ocean Steamship Company of Savannah was founded in 1872 with passenger and cargo service between the cotton export port of Savannah, Georgia and the northern export ports of New York and Boston. This company was a subsidiary of the Central of Georgia Railway and was integral in moving cotton from Georgia and Alabama to New York and Boston, Massachusetts over the next seventy years. <br></br> Steamships listed on the card include: <div class="indenttextblock"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>City of Augusta</li> <li>Chattahoochee></li> <li>Nacooche></li> <li>Tallahassee></li> <li>City of Savannah></li> </ul> </div> Sailing dates listed on the back of the card are for routes from New York to Savannah, GA. during November 1886.
1218Coming Soon!DetailsAnonymous1889
Boston and Gloucester Steamboat Company pass for 1888
Anonymous
1889
$70.00AnonymousBoston-and-Gloucester-Steamboat-Company-pass-for-1888An antique Boston and Gloucester Steamboat Company annual pass for the year 1888. On green card stock. Issued as number 116. Valid until January 1, 1889. Ship's wheel decoration with the date "1888". <br></br> Boston and Gloucester Steamboat company began year round service in 1870 and continued operating between Boston and Gloucester until 1926 when they ceased operations. Steamboats from the line included the "Ella Knight", "George Chaffee", "City of Gloucester", and the "Cape Ann" a steel-hulled propellor driven vessel of 171 feet in length. <br></br> Text on the verso of this antique pass with rules and stipulation for use of the pass.
1219Coming Soon!DetailsThaxter, Samuel and Son1890
Samuel Thaxter and Son, Boston, trade card
Thaxter, Samuel and Son
1890
$225.00Thaxter--Samuel-and-SonSamuel-Thaxter-and-Son--Boston--trade-cardScarce trade card for the Boston, Massachusetts firm of Samuel Thaxter and Son. Samuel Thaxter was an importer and manufacturer of nautical and optical instruments. Thaxter was the publisher of Eldridge's charts and coast pilots, and an agent for U.S. Coast Survey charts and books. During this period, they operated from a store at 125 State Street, Boston. <br></br> Samuel Thaxter and Sons sold sextants, charts, compasses, binnacles, levels, and other nautical items that occasionally are found on the antiques market today. <br></br> Absence of red overprinting of a new address at bottom of card suggests a date between 1880 and 1900. Verso carries the following historical information about the firms' genesis:<br></br> <div class="indenttextblock"> <b>One Hundred Years Under One Sign</b> <br></br> (From the Boston Evening Transcript, February 2d 1873.) <br></br> In 1779 William Williams carried on the Nautical-Instrument business in King, now State Street, having as a sign an image called "Admiral Vernon". In 1794 Samuel Thaxter, who married his niece, succeeded him and carried on the business in his own name thirty years. Then, taking his son a partner, the style of the firm was changed to S. THAXTER & SON, under which name it has continued the last fifty-one years at 125 State Street, corner Broad Street. Samuel Thaxter Cushing, grandson of S. Thaxter has been connected with the business thirty-eight years, and for the last thirty-three years, the only surviving partner. For all that time the "Admiral" with his quadrant has stood guard and stands guard now, on State Street, fit prototype of the smart little image displayed by Walter's uncle as chronicled in "Dombey & Son".</div>
1168Coming Soon!DetailsSimpson, Thomas I.1895
Antique Thomas I. Simpson Nautical Hardware Catalog
Simpson, Thomas I.
1895
$165.00Simpson--Thomas-I-Antique-Thomas-I--Simpson-Nautical-Hardware-CatalogAntique nautical hardware catalog and price list for Thomas I. Simpson a company located at 94 John Street, New York. U.S.A. Factory at Lynbrook, Long Island. The back of the title page reads " MANUFACTURER OF Sail Makers', Awning Makers', Ship Chandlery and Marine HARDWARE. <br></br> Contains hundreds of useful drawings and references for collectors of nautical or whaling antiques. 272 pages plus index. <br></br> By Thomas I. Simpson, The wide range of inventory includes: <div class="indenttextblock"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>Jib sheet blocks for rope strap (Oak or lignumvitae)</li> <li>Never-sink cork jackets</li> <li>Galvanized iron screws</li> <li>Fishing smack signals</li> <li>Harpoons and toggle irons</li> <li>Boat cleats</li> <li>Patent adjustable leg irons and handcuffs (Polished or nickel plated)</li> <li>Wooden mast balls, gilded</li> </ul> </div> Printed by W. J. PELL PRINT, 92 JOHN ST., NEW YORK.
135Coming Soon!DetailsAnonymous1902
Track Chart Anchor Line American Mail Steamships
Anonymous
1902
$115.00AnonymousTrack-Chart--Anchor-Line-American-Mail-SteamshipsAntique ship's track chart of Atlantic Ocean produced by the Anchor Line shipping company that was used by a passenger to track his progress on a Transatlantic cruise. Details the daily latitude and longitude on a 2689 mile voyage of the SS Anchonia between New York and Glasgow on Aug 9th - 19th, 1902. Daily position plots indicate a more northerly path than usual. <BR> </BR> Document on card stock folds into 3 parts. Front cover lists vessels owned by Anchor Line with their tonnage and shows a frontal view of a steamer underway. Expands to 10"x6"
289Coming Soon!DetailsProvidence, Fall River and Newport Steamboat Co.1904
Brochure- Providence , Fall River and Newport Steamboat Co
Providence, Fall River and Newport Steamboat Co.
1904
$165.00Providence--Fall-River-and-Newport-Steamboat-Co-Brochure--Providence---Fall-River-and-Newport-Steamboat-CoScarce antique eight-page brochure and map for the Providence, Fall River and Newport Steamboat Company, 136 Dyer Street, Providence, Rhode Island. This small brochure, dated internally to 1904, contains time tables, descriptive information on each port and sightseeing tips and advertisements from local businesses and resorts. <BR> </BR> Contains a list of the eight steamers comprising the company's fleet and their passenger capacity: <div class="indenttextblock"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>Mount Hope - 2000 persons</li> <li>Warwick - 2000 persons</li> <li>Richard Borden - 1500 persons</li> <li>City of Newport - 1100 persons</li> <li>Favorite - 1100 persons</li> <li>What Cheer - 750 persons</li> <li>Squantum - 850 persons</li> <li>Baltimore - 500 persons</li> </ul> </div>
681Coming Soon!DetailsDeering, G.G.1919
Launch Invitation for the ghost ship Carrol A. Deering
Deering, G.G.
1919
$375.00Deering--G-G-Launch-Invitation-for-the-ghost-ship-Carrol-A--DeeringOriginal folding invitation and menu for the launching of the famous ghost ship Carroll A. Deering in April, 1919. On January 29, 1921 the 5 masted schooner grounded on the outer shoals of Cape Hatteras. The ship was abandoned and the crew, logbooks and navigational equiptment were never found. The case of the Carroll A. Deering is one of the top maritime mysteries, along with that of the Mary Celeste. <br></br> According to an online article by the National Park Service: <div class="indenttextblock">"On January 29, 1921, the Carroll A. Deering was making a return trip to Hampton Roads, Virginia from Barbados when she passed the Cape Lookout Lightship. According to the lightship keeper, the crew was milling about and a crewman, who did not look or act like an officer, reported that the ship had lost its anchors. The following day, the ship passed the SS Lake Elon southwest of the Diamond Shoals Lightship at approximately 5:45 pm. The Deering seemed to be steering a peculiar course. This was the last report of the ill-fated Deering before she was found run aground and abandoned. At 6:30 am on January 31st, C.P. Brady of the Cape Hatteras Coast Guard Station spotted a five-masted schooner in the morning light, aground and helpless on the shoals…. Upon investigating the ship, it was discovered that all personal belongings, key navigational equipment, certain papers, and the ship’s anchors were missing. Furthermore, food was laid out as if in preparation for a meal. But there was no sign of the crew. Source: http://www.nps.gov/caha/historyculture/theghostship.htm</div> <br> Purchased in 2013 with other Deering memorabilia. Dated April 4, 1919. Cover contains the colored emblem of the G.G. Deering Company flag. Interior contains details of the launching of the Carroll A. Deering including the name of William Merritt, Master and a menu of the lunch served to guests at King Tavern in Bath, Maine.