Thumbnail CreatorDateTitle / Author / Date / LocationPrice  Description
4936Prevost's history of voyages book 11.DetailsPrevost, Antoine-Francois1753
Histoire Generale de Voyages. Suite des Voyages aux Indes Orientales XI
Prevost, Antoine-Francois
$1,350.00Prevost--Antoine-FrancoisHistoire-Generale-de-Voyages--Suite-des-Voyages-aux-Indes-Orientales-XIL'Abbe Prevost's well-known history of exploratory voyages (1753; volume 11) with accounts of the explorations of Drake, Sarmiento, Spilberg, la Maire, Narborough, Froger, Woodes Rogers, Frezier, Anson, Dampier and many others. Octavo. <br></br> <b>Includes eleven mostly folding maps and charts by Jacques Bellin in fine condition.</b> <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>Carte reduite du Detroit de Magellan.</li> <li>Carte reduite de la partie la plus meridionale de l'Amerique.</li> <li>La ville de l'Isle de Caienne et de ses environs.</li> <li>La ville de Cayenne.</li> <li>Carte du Detroit de la Maire.</li> <li>Carte reduite de la Mer du Sud.</li> <li>Carte particuliere de l'Isle de Juan Fernandez.</li> <li>Coste du nord est de l'isle de Juan Fernandez.</li> <li>Carte reduite des Terres Australes.</li> <li>Cours de vents de traverse dans la Mer Atlantique.</li> <li>Cours de vents de traverse dans la Grand Mer du Sud.</li> </ul> </div> With more than one dozen engraved plates of native flora, fauna and personal watercraft.
4940French manuscript chart of the island of Diego Garcia.DetailsAnonymous1809
Manuscript chart of the island of Diego Garcia
$1,375.00AnonymousManuscript-chart-of-the-island-of-Diego-GarciaFrench manuscript chart of the island of Diego Garcia. Diego Garcia, a coral atoll, is the largest and southernmost member of the Chagos Archipelago, in the central Indian Ocean. <br/><br/> Dated on or near May 2, 1809 when the French Governor of Mauritius Decaen granted rights over the island to Cayeux, the Didier brothers, and Lapotaire. Lapotaire was reported to have over 100 slaves working his copra plantation in 1809. The map clearly shows those three land holdings, with Didier at the southern end of the island. (Cawley, Charles. Colonies in Conflict: The History of the British Overseas Territories. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 2015.) <br/></br/> "Portuguese explorers discovered Diego Garcia in the early 1500s. The islands remained uninhabited until the 18th century when the French established coconut and copra plantations with the help of slave labor. Diego Garcia became a possession of the United Kingdom after the Napoleonic wars, and from 1814 to 1965, it was a dependency of Mauritius." (Source:
4921Map of Bad Lands or Mauvaises Terres of Nebraska.DetailsOwen, David Dale1852
Map Bad Lands Mauvaises Terres Nebraska
Owen, David Dale
$350.00Owen--David-DaleMap-Bad-Lands-Mauvaises-Terres--NebraskaMap Showing the Position of the Bad Lands ( Badlands) or Mauvaises Terres of Nebraska. <br></br> After David Dale Owen's "Geological Map of Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota ... Constructed from observations by the United States Geological Corps ... 1851. Published by Lippincott, Grambo & Co., Philadelphia.
4934Fine lIthograped map of San Francisco by Britton and Rey.DetailsBritton and Rey1858
Map of the City of San Francisco
Britton and Rey
$1,500.00Britton-and-ReyMap-of-the-City-of-San-FranciscoFine lithograped map of San Francisco, California with red overprinted circles at 1/4 mile intervals bound into the annual report described below. Stated by another dealer as "rare" and "one of the earliest maps of San Franciso published in the city." <br/><br/> Only 2 sales of these rare antebellum Britton & Rey lithographed maps are recorded in AMPR, only one previous sale of the red-overprinted edition. 2nd. ed. Originally issued in 1846, but not dated within; comparison to the first edition shows no differences except for red over-printing. Neither sale included the bound report. Britton & Rey were located on Mongomery Street at the corner with Commercial Street between 1854 and 1858 (Peters, California on Stone, p. 162). <br/><br/> Frontispiece shows a plan, "Diagram of the Chamber of the Board of Supervisors, 1863. H.P. Coon, President <br/><br/> The gilt-edged report into which the map is bound: " San Francisco Municipal Reports for the Fiscal Year 1862-'63" published at the orders of the Board of Supervisors. San Francisco: Printed at Charles F. Robbins & Company. No 417 Clay Street, between Sansome and Battery. 1863. Contains reports from City Auditors, City Surveyor and other department heads and city officials. 6" W x 9" H. Binding tight. Original covers with binders identification inside the front cover at top left: Bartling & Kimball, Binders, 505 Clay Street,San Francisco. <br/><br/> Spine (poor with 1" missing) reads: Municipal Reports, San Francisco 1862-663. Cover (good) reads: "Presented by the City of San Francisco."
4890Georges River map based on exploration of WaymouthDetailsPrince, George1860
Antique Map Georges River Adjacent Islands Explored Waymouth 1860
Prince, George
$500.00Prince--GeorgeAntique-Map-Georges-River-Adjacent-Islands-Explored-Waymouth-1860A scarce lithographed map and booklet of Maine documenting a carto-analytic discovery by George Prince. Based on the exploration by English explorer George Waymouth (1585-1612) in 1605. Published from Bath, Maine. <br></br> Map by George Prince based on Rosier, locally available printed maps and one manuscript map he saw. Prince knew the area well: "Having been since my earliest childhood been acquainted with the Georges River, its entrance and all the islands." Upsetting common beliefs of the time, Rosier was able to determine that Waymouth had explored the Georges River, not the Kennebec or Penobscot rivers as many believed. <br></br> Rosier's narrative reminds us that our near ancestors were to say the least, "not PC". Rosier describes the capture of 3 Native Americans for transport back to England with their canoas (canoes) as a "matter of great importance." <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> It was as much as five or sixe of us could do to get them into the light horseman [their boat]. For they were strong and so naked as our best hold was by their long haire on their heads; and <b>we would have beene very loath to do them any hurt, which of necessity we had beene constrained to have done if we had attempted them in a multitude, which we must and would, rather than to have wanted them, being a matter of great importance for the full accomplement of our voyage.</b>" </div> <br></br> Booklet: With remarks by George Prince and "Rosier's Narrative of Waymouth's Voyage to the Coast of Maine in 1605" by James Rosier, chronicler of Waymouth's . <br></br> Scarce. Title page. Bookplate for William H. Hahn (Friendship, Maine) and MS signature (not Hahn) inside title page. 45 pages text. 1 folding map. Bath, Maine: Eastern Times Press. 1860. Reprinted from Collections of the Massachusetts Historical Society, 1843, 3d series, v. 8.
4923Map of five gas-light companies serving New-York City in 1863.DetailsAnonymous1863
Grand Gas-light Combination of the Metropolis of America
$550.00AnonymousGrand-Gas-light-Combination-of-the-Metropolis-of-AmericaMap representing five gas-light companies that served New-York City in 1863: <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>Harlem Gas Light Company</li> <li>Metropolitan Gas Light Company</li> <li>Manhattan Gas Light Company</li> <li>New York Gas Light Company</li> <li>Citizens' Gas-light Company</li> </ul> </div> Published in the American Gas Light Journal, March 2, 1863. p. 265
4901Charts of difficult navigational areas on the Mississippi River.DetailsU.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey1865
Antique Mississippi River Charts of Shoals and Sand Bars
U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
$2,300.00U-S--Coast-and-Geodetic-SurveyAntique-Mississippi-River-Charts-of-Shoals-and-Sand-BarsRare, separately published charts (23) of critical navigational areas on the Mississippi River and the Ohio River. A supplement of charts to accompany the <b>"Letter of the Secretary of the Navy communicating the report of the commission appointed under the joint resolution of Congress, approved June 30, 1864," </b> (Source: Online) <div class="indenttextblock"> "to select the most approved site for a navy yard or naval station on the Mississippi River or upon one of its tributaries and recommending a appropriation to cover the expenses of said commission." </div> The maps were not of proposed locations for the new Navy yard but of shoal or shallow areas of the Mississippi River. These shallow sand bars and narrow channels could impede the movement of vessels of vessels to the new yard: <div class="indenttextblock"> "A series of topographical sketches of some of the difficult places of navigation on the Mississippi between Carondolet and Memphis and in the Ohio between Cairo and Cincinnati. They will have a value in furnishing means of comparison in future studies of the beds of these rivers." </div> <br> Twenty-one charts (sketches) for the Mississippi River and two charts for the Ohio River including: <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>Sketch No. 1 Jefferson Barracks Bar</li> <li>Sketch No. 3 Widow Beard's Island</li> <li>Sketch No. 5 Penitentiary Shoal</li> </ul> </div> The surveys were conducted by a Coast Survey party attached to the command of Admiral Lee, headed by F.H. Gerdes Chief of the Mississippi squadron topographical engineers. <br></br> The expenses of the commission included a whopping $870 to G.W. Blunt, $10 per diem from November 10, 1864 to February 4, 1865. From this expense we know that Blunt also was actively involved in the survey's that produced these maps.
48331870 manuscript map of Erie Railway property in Jersey City,DetailsErie Railway Company1870
Rare manuscript Erie Railway trace map Jersey City
Erie Railway Company
$1,500.00Erie-Railway-CompanyRare-manuscript-Erie-Railway-trace-map-Jersey-CityOne-of-a-kind post civil-war inked manuscript map of Erie Railway Company and Long Dock Co. property [1] in Jersey City, New Jersey from 1870. On surveyor's tracing cloth, this artifact was likely used as the master copy for producing other cyanotype (blueprint) maps [2]. <br></br> Made during a period of great change and great fortunes made by railroad speculators such as Jay Gould who attempted to take control of the Erie Railway in 1873. In fact it was just one year before this map was made that Gould and partner James Fisk caused financial devastation with a scheme to control the gold market. <br></br> Shows the Long Dock Company Tunnel (Bergen Tunnel) built in 1861. The new tunnel was used by the Erie Railway to reach the Pavonia Depot on the Hudson River. Copious explanation of the lands, railroads, docks and piers; and improvements. Scale 400 feet to one inch. Title states "Made in compliance of an Act of the Legislature of the State of New Jersey. Approved March 17, 1870. <br></br> [1] The property of the Long Dock Company was operated by Erie Railway Company and its receivers Jan. 1, 1861 to May 31, 1878. The Long Dock Company was incorporated by special act of the State of New Jersey in 1856,for the purpose of constructing a railroad within the limits of Hoboken and Jersey City, N. J. with docks, piers, and bulkheads and establish a ferry at or near Pavonia Avenue, Jersey City, N. J.<br/> [2] Blueprinting, a new photo-reprographic process, was introduced by Herschel in 1841 and by 1870 was commercialized, supporting the production of an unlimited number of copies from a single surveyor’s master trace. A blueprint was created by overlaying the traced map (as we have here) onto a piece of paper treated with a photo-sensitive compound. After exposure to sunlight the paper was washed and dried with the end product a blue negative copy of the trace.
4926Hydrographic chart of the Yucatan Channel from 1872.DetailsU.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey1872
Antique chart of the Yucatan Channel Mexico Cuba
U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
$240.00U-S--Coast-and-Geodetic-SurveyAntique-chart-of-the-Yucatan-Channel-Mexico-CubaScarce U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey hydrographic chart of the Yucatan Channel with soundings from 1872 taken by R. Platt then an Acting Master in the U.S.N. <br /><br /> Old survey chart of the channel between the east Yucatan area of Mexico and the Cape San Antonio Light in Cuba. Inset drawing of the profile of the channel with a horizontal scale of 1 / 100,000. With a tabular display of the type of bottom composition (sand, mud …) encountered by depth of the soundings.
4925Maps of Slate Creek Basin in Sierra County, California.DetailsU.S. Geological Survey1873
Pair of mining maps for Slate Creek Basin, California
U.S. Geological Survey
$270.00U-S--Geological-SurveyPair-of-mining-maps-for-Slate-Creek-Basin--CaliforniaTwo rare original antique mining maps of the northern and southern part of Slate Creek Basin in Sierra County California. Both maps show placer mine (stream-bed mining) locations with company names, Chinese mining camps, tunnel locations, hydraulic mines, dwelling houses, waterways and proposed tunnels. <br /><br /> Shows many ditches and labeled wagon roads including the "wagon road from La Port to Queen City." <br /><br /> Mining companies include Yankee Hill Placer Mines, Maria Hartman Company, Alturas Gold Mining Company, Indian Queen Company, and Poverty Point Placer Mines.
4896Booklet and map of Woodruff Scientific Expedition Around the World.DetailsWoodruff, James G.1877
The Woodruff Scientific Expedition that Never Was
Woodruff, James G.
$200.00Woodruff--James-G-The-Woodruff-Scientific-Expedition-that-Never-WasFirst edition prospectus, the "Final Announcement" of the failed Woodruff Scientific Expedition Around the World (with map of the intended route), originally planned for 1877-1879. Two hundred paying students at $2,500 each were needed to fund the study-abroad adventure but subscriptions fell far short of the expedition's needs and the project failed. Woodruff abandoned the expedition project in May 1878 and died shortly thereafter. Despite efforts to revive the expedition for 1880-1882, it again failed to move forward. <br><br /> The statement below from the brochure thoroughly document it's content: <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> Final Announcement of the Woodruff Scientific Expedition Around the World starting October 1877 and Returning October 1879 giving plan of organization, management, faculty, financials, details, route and approximate dates and stoppages, description of vessel, equipment, and character of command, map of route, letters of approval, cadet class and other information necessary for a full understanding of this enterprise. </div> <br /> Includes two separate insert sheets: <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>A note (5"x7") from the Secretary of the Navy R.W. Thompson three months before the planned departure. Thompson gave faint, hedged support for the expedition: <b>" … if it shall prove successful ..." and "… there is at this time a fair prospect of this result."</b></li> <li>A 2 page sheet (9"x12") issued from the St. Nicolas Hotel in New York City with a composite-woodblock engraving of the Woodruff Expedition Steamship "Ontario." Verso with a title and an expedition summary.</li> </ul> </div> Printed at Riverside Press. Cambridge, Massachusetts. 1877.
4927Antique nautical chart of Monterey  CaliforniaDetailsU.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey1880
Scarce antique Chart of Monterey Harbor California
U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
$750.00U-S--Coast-and-Geodetic-SurveyScarce-antique-Chart-of-Monterey-Harbor-CaliforniaElectrotype copy of the chart of Monterey Harbor with a fine engraved coastal elevation view of Point Pinos from 5 miles seaward. Includes sailing directions. Chart number 5491. First issued 1852 but ca. 1880. <br></br> This is a scarce, separately issued, rolled hydrographic chart of the California coast, first published in 1852, not one of the common folded versions on thin paper that were issued with other charts in an annual report to Congress from the Coast Survey. <br></br> This antique chart was printed from an electrotype copy of the original hand-engraved copper plate, a process the U.S. Coast Survey adopted around 1850. As a soft medium, copper plates could only withstand print runs of perhaps 200 copies before the plates wore down. To enable larger print runs, a mold of the original plate was created in wax or another soft medium. Then, using an electro-chemical process ( electrotyping ), the mold was coated with a metal layer, typically copper. Printers were then able to produce output from the new electrotype copper copy, while preserving the original. <br></br> Electrotype copy no. 3. Sheet size 27"x24". Logo of the Coast Survey Office. Price when issued 15 cents.
4907Stock certificate for Henry Reed Steamboat Company, Congo.DetailsHenry Reed Steamboat Company1887
Rare Missionary Donation Card for Congo River Steamboat
Henry Reed Steamboat Company
$350.00Henry-Reed-Steamboat-CompanyRare-Missionary-Donation-Card-for-Congo-River-Steamboat<br /> <div style="text-align: center;font-size:100%;"> "This certifies that <b><i>Mrs. Sara E. Buxton</i></b> <br />by the payment of ten cents <br />is a shareholder in <br /> THE HENRY REED STEAMBOAT COMPANY<br /> for the year 1887" </div><br /> Recto with scene of a small steam-powered stern-wheel riverboat, a la the African Queen, and two native Africans watching from shore. Map on verso of the Congo Free State, the Congo River, and in the upper Congo River a dotted line shows the route of the Henry Reed. Scarce. <br /><br /> Very rare "stock certificate" given for a donation of ten cents to support a mission steamer on the upper Congo River in Africa. The vessel "Henry Reed' worked the upper river and after 1887 another steamer joined on the lower Congo River. By 1890 the name of the mission was changed to "The Congo Steamboat Company" and funds collected paid for both vessels as well as for operating expenses. Lifetime membership could be purchased for $1.00. (Baptist Missionary Magazine. American Baptist Missionary Union. Volume 70. Boston. 1890.)
4913Antique cyanotype (blueprint) New York Railroad.DetailsNew York, Providence and Boston Railroad1892
Antique Chart New York, Providence and Boston Railroad
New York, Providence and Boston Railroad
$650.00New-York--Providence-and-Boston-RailroadAntique-Chart-New-York--Providence-and-Boston-RailroadA foundational organizational diagram / map for collectors of ephemera related to the New York, Providence and Boston Railroad. <br /><br/> Very rare and very unusual cyanotype (blueprint) document showing the railroad and steamship lines, as of 1892, that comprised the New York, Providence and Boston Railroad (N.Y.P. & B.R.R.). Includes unusually-presented notes about dates of construction and leasing of the various component lines of the railroad within circular icons. <br /><br /> A fine example of the use of the cyanotype process to create a map not intended for navigation but rather to inform the reader about the history of the railroad and its affiliated Providence and Stonington Steamship Company. <br /><br /> Produced from Providence, Rhode Island by the Chief Engineer's Office in March, 1892.
4941Boston and Maine Railroad (1903) with summer excursions.DetailsBoston and Maine Railroad1903
Boston and Maine Railroad Summer Excursions 1st ed.
Boston and Maine Railroad
$600.00Boston-and-Maine-RailroadBoston-and-Maine-Railroad-Summer-Excursions-1st-ed-"Boston and Maine Railroad Summer Excursions to the White Mountains, Mount Desert, Adirondacks, Catskills, Montreal and Quebec, Winnipesaukee, Memphremagog, Champlain, Rangely and Moosehead lakes and the New England Beaches." <br></br> Rare booklet from the Boston and Maine Railroad (1903) with Summer Excursions, rates, stage and steamer connections. Includes five maps and birds-eye views on thin paper. 88 pages. Thin card covers. 4" x 8" overall. <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>1) "Bird's Eye Map of the White Mountains reached by Boston and Maine." Birds-eye view map of the White Mountains in New Hampshire. </li> <li>2) Map of Lake Winnepesaukee and Vicinity Reached by Boston and Maine and Steamer Mt. Washington. Printed by Rand, Avery Supply Co,. Engineers and Printers, Boston.<.li> <li>3) Lake Memphremagog and About There. Boston and Maine Railroad. Printed by Rand Avery Supply Company, Boston, Mass.</li> <li>4) Fishing and Hunting Resorts reached by Boston and Maine Railroad Connections.</li> <li>5) Map of Lake Sunapee and Vicinity Reached by Boston and Maine Railroad. Rand, Avery Supply Co,. Engineers, Boston, Mass.</li> </ul> </div> Issued by the Passenger Department, Boston and Maine Railroad. 1903. Boston City Ticket Office: 322 Washington Street Cor. Of Milk Street
4902Birdseye view of the Bay of San Francisco and Napa Valley.DetailsMonticello Steamship Company1907
Antique Birdseye View of San Francisco and Napa Valley Monticello Steamship Company
Monticello Steamship Company
$550.00Monticello-Steamship-CompanyAntique-Birdseye-View-of-San-Francisco-and-Napa-Valley-Monticello-Steamship-CompanyAntique birds-eye view of the Bay of San Francisco and Napa Valley. "On the Bay of San Francisco from the Monticello Steamship Company". Scarce with this view. <br></br> Copyright 1907 by Monticello Steamship Company. <br></br> With steamship routes and electric railroad routes to and through: Vallejo The U.S. Navy Yard Mare Island Napa Valley Route <br></br> Card cover and four inner pages. With Information on fares, steamship and electric Railroad Routes Size closed: 4" x 9 1/2". By Sierra Art and Engineering Co. S.E.
4834Admiralty Chart of the South China Sea with SingaporeDetailsBritish Admiralty Hydrographical Office1912
China Sea Banka Strait to Singapore
British Admiralty Hydrographical Office
$1,500.00British-Admiralty-Hydrographical-OfficeChina-Sea-Banka-Strait-to-SingaporeFine original British Admiralty Chart of the South China Sea with Singapore featured prominently at top left. Singapore, at the south end of the Malay peninsula, was made a British colony in 1946 and in 1965 became an independent republic. Singapore is separated from the Malay Peninsula to the north by the Johor Strait. At the time of last correction (1912) the chart showed only two navigational lights on the island of Singapore. <br></br> South of Singapore, across the Singapore Strait, lie the Riau Archipelago (Kepulauan Riau) including the islands of Batam, Bintan, Rempang, Galang, and numerous smaller islands. <br></br> A scarce and desirable chart. <br></br> Moving south down the East Coast of Sumatra past the islands of Batam, Bintan, Ligga, and Singkep, the chart ends at the Banka Strait and Banka Island. <br></br> Verso with manuscript index labeling in several locations.
4904Unrecorded plan for the French Penal Colony at St. LaurentDetailsAnonymous1912
Plan General de St. Laurent de Maroni French Guyana Papillon
$800.00AnonymousPlan-General-de-St--Laurent-de-Maroni-French-Guyana-PapillonUnrecorded plan for the French Penal Colony at St. Laurent along the Maroni River in French Guyana. Established by Napoleon III in 1850, for almost 100 years St. Laurent de Maroni was the main penal establishment of French Guiana. Rare. <br></br> Henri Charriere, the famous prisoner Papillon of the eponymously named film starring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman, was a prisoner at St. Laurent de Maroni. The prison can be found on the map at top center surrounded by a wall . The prison complex included a old hospital and a new hospital, a transportation camp, the "Quartier Disciplinaire. The hospital was among the inmates favorites. Many prisoners faked illnesses just to be sent to the hospital so that they could plan their escape more easily. <br></br> The town of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni proper was founded on 16 March 1880. St. Laurent was a penal town whose inhabitants were nearly all guards or liberated prisoners. The hospital was built in 1912, and the prison itself closed in 1946, the same year the whole colonial penal system was abolished.
4938Map of Suwannee Land Belt acreage Suwannee River, Florida.DetailsLive Oak, Perry, and Gulf Railroad Company1915
Suwannee River Land Belt allotment certificate
Live Oak, Perry, and Gulf Railroad Company
$400.00Live-Oak--Perry--and-Gulf-Railroad-CompanySuwannee-River-Land-Belt-allotment-certificateScarce map ca. 1915 of land offered for sale by the Live Oak, Perry, and Gulf Railroad Company Land Commissioners: "Suwannee River Land Belt Offered by the Land Department of the Live Oak, Perry and Gulf Railroad Company, Live Oak - Fla." <br/><br/> Coverage includes a large portion of Florida in the vicinity of Perry, Mayo, Live Oak, Branford, and the Steinhatchee Conservation Area. <br/><br/> Map lies on the verso of a sheet designated an "Allotment Certificate", a blank document for a real-estate buyer containing details of an offer to sell land from property surrounding their rail line the: "Suwannee Land Belt ." Recto with front and back of the "Allotment Certificate" with blanks to be filled. Date field reads "… for a period of Sixty Days from ______ 191_ ."
4894British Admiralty chart of Nantucket, MassachusettsDetailsBritish Admiralty Hydrographical Office1918
Antique Chart of Nantucket Sound and Eastern Approaches
British Admiralty Hydrographical Office
$1,350.00British-Admiralty-Hydrographical-OfficeAntique-Chart-of-Nantucket-Sound-and-Eastern-ApproachesFine engraved British Admiralty navigation chart (1918) of Nantucket Island, Nantucket Sound and portions of "America" (what Nantucket locals seem to call the mainland U.S.). On Nantucket Island the chart shows some of the primary landmarks that guide visitors today: the Sankaty Head Light, Brant Point Lighthouse, Siasconset, Maddaket Harbor and more. <br></br> The chart, engraved by Edward Weller, is titled "United States East Coast. Nantucket Sound and Eastern Approaches. From United States Government Charts to 1914." <br></br> Notable locations shown on the mainland include Hyannis, Lewis Bay, Monomoy Island, Dennis Port, Harwich Port, and Chatham. Edition of February, 1916 with last corrections in 1918. <br></br> London. Published at the Admiralty, January 28, 1896 under the superintendence of Rear Admiral W.J.L. Wharton. C.B., F.R.S. Hydrographer. Sold by J.D. Potter. Chart number 2489.
4908Scarce brochure for tours of New Orleans, Louisiana.DetailsHiggins Tours1922
Pre-depression map and brochure for Higgins Tours in New Orleans
Higgins Tours
$140.00Higgins-ToursPre-depression-map-and-brochure-for-Higgins-Tours-in-New-OrleansScarce brochure, with a map (9"x16") of Orleans Parish, for tours of New Orleans, Louisiana by Higgins Tours. In 1922 Higgins Tours' office and garage was at 630 Julia Street, part of what later was to become New Orlean's skid row in the 1970's, and today is part of the revitalized warehouse district. <br></br> On the back cover an offer for Higgin's Plantation Tour for $2.00 round trip: "30 Miles on LOUISIANA Shell Roads". Oooh, pinch me! Special points of interest on the Plantation Tour included St. Roch's Shrine, famous old Villere Plantation, slave huts and orange groves. Cars left daily from the corner of Canal and St. Charles Street at 10:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. daily. "Look for the green cars." <br></br> Light card cover and four interior sheets front and back. Fare $1.00. Printed ca. 1922.
4900A goat powered torpedo.DetailsAnonymous1925
Cyanotype Heath Robinson contraption goat-powered torpedo
$1,250.00AnonymousCyanotype-Heath-Robinson-contraption-goat-powered-torpedoYou will likely never see another one of these. From the Roaring Twenties- a cyanotype (blueprint) Heath Robinson style contraption- a goat-powered torpedo. The satirical proposed device shows advanced knowledge of torpedo design and function. (e.g. bulkheads). <br></br> Early Newport, RI colonists used Goat Island as a goat pasture. In 1925 the U.S. Navy operated a torpedo manufacturing, development and testing station on Goat Island. <br> <div class="indenttextblock">The anonymous author explained: "The torpedo is made in three sections, the head, the midship section and after body. The drawing shows the mechanism at rest. The operation is as follows: When the torpedo is fired from the tube the trigger comes in contact with a lug which causes the trigger arm to displace the cobble with falls on the Bermuda onion and crushes it. The onion gases thus released cause the goat to weep copiously. The tears are caught in the funnel on the top of the sal-ammoniac pin. These tears dissolve the sal-ammoniac pin. Thereby releasing the spring rod and prodder. This unit moves smartly forward, engaging the port quarter of the goat, thereupon the goat steps out and operates the asbestos tread mill, which is connected to the gear train that operates the propellers. A gaff and boom rig operated by the gear train, operates a spur gear which revolves rapidly on the goats back guaranteeing the continuance of the motion started by the goat prodder, the derby on the goat prevents him from catching cold while the torpedo is in the tube. It is obvious that if he should catch cold he would be rendered useless as an onion weeper. The hat also serves as a cut-off in the following manner; after a certain speed has been attained the goat has a desire to take off his hat and be comfortable, so he therefore tosses it to the rear where it falls in the gear train and jams it. Any torpedo expert will explain this to you if the above elucidation is not perfectly clear. </div>
4937Very fine British Admiralty chart of Vancouver Island.DetailsBritish Admiralty Hydrographical Office1925
Awesome Chart of Vancouver Island Washington Territory
British Admiralty Hydrographical Office
$875.00British-Admiralty-Hydrographical-OfficeAwesome-Chart-of-Vancouver-Island-Washington-TerritoryVery fine British Admiralty chart of Vancouver Island, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, San Juan Islands, the Washington Territory, Bellingham. An early 20th century copper-engraved chart with very fine detail. The topography and presentation are based on an earlier edition from the mid-19th century, with corrections as noted. With six fine inset elevation views of the coast. <br/><br/> "North America … West Coast … VANCOUVER ISLAND and Adjacent Shores of British Columbia Surveyed by Captain G.H. Richards, R.N." … First published by the Admiralty on Sept 25, 1865. Large corrections in 1890 and 1900 with last correction in 1925. <br/><br/> 'Sir George Henry Richards (1820 –1896) was hydrographer to the British Admiralty from 1864 to 1874. After joining the Royal Navy in 1832, Richards was a hydrographer on the coast of British Columbia in 1857–1862 and was the second British commissioner to the San Juan Islands Boundary Commission. Richards is responsible for the selection and designation of dozens of placenames along the British Columbia coast. <br/><br/> Richards conducted surveys in the Pacific Northwest aboard the survey ships Plumper, and later the Hecate. As second commissioner for the maritime boundary, he was tasked with a detailed survey of the waters between Vancouver Island and the American mainland, to help determine the location of the international boundary through the San Juan Islands. The survey was completed in June 1858.' (Dictionary of Canadian Biography.
4939Plat book of Greater Miami, Florida and Suburbs from 1925.DetailsG.M. Hopkins Company1925
Hopkins' plat book of Greater Miami Florida and Suburbs 1925
G.M. Hopkins Company
$3,600.00G-M--Hopkins-CompanyHopkins--plat-book-of-Greater-Miami-Florida-and-Suburbs-1925Original plat book of Greater Miami, Florida and Suburbs from official records, private plans, and actual surveys. Compiled under the direction of and published by G.M. Hopkins Co. Civil Engineers … 1925. <br/><br/> In two sections: Greater Miami, Florida and Suburbs (list of revisions; street index; 2 index maps; and 41 sheets of plats) and City of Miami Beach (with six sheets containing plats labeled B-G; Sheet "A" missing.) Verso of each sheet is blank. <br/><br/> Earliest of three plat books of Miami by the Hopkins Co, the latter two being 1936 and 1957. G.M. Hopkins Company was a map-making publishing company founded in 1865 in Philadelphia, Pa., by brothers G.M. and Henry Hopkins. The name of the company was changed to G.M. Hopkins Company in 1902. The company was bought by the Franklin Survey Company of Philadelphia in 1943, which continued to issue maps and atlases under the G.M. Hopkins name.
4903A Circle Tour of Florida brochure with map from 1929.DetailsFlorida Motor Lines1929
Map Brochure for a Circle Tour of Florida $37.50
Florida Motor Lines
$150.00Florida-Motor-LinesMap-Brochure-for-a-Circle-Tour-of-Florida-$37-50A Circle Tour of Florida brochure with map, printed during the Florida land boom of the late 1920's. Tour duration could last "Four days to four months depending upon the stopovers." By Florida Motor Lines, later the first subsidiary of Greyhound Bus Lines. <br></br> With locations and telephone numbers for bus stations and terminals including Miami, where the phone number was "8888". Folds to 3" x 9". <br></br> <div class="indenttextblock"> "FLORIDA MOTOR LINES, INC. was formed in January 1926 by the firm Stone and Webster by buying and consolidating Florida Motor Transportation Company and White Stage Line Company. Based in Orlando, Florida, the company owned 150 coaches and ran some 1,290 route miles. On October 24, 1929 “a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity was issued to Florida Motor Lines to operate motor busses for compensation in transporting passengers on all the highways of the state then being operated upon by the applicant, and especially over State Highway No. 4, between Jacksonville and Miami.” In 1933 the company moved its office to Jacksonville. In January 1946 Florida Motor Lines was sold to The Greyhound Corporation, which renamed it Florida Greyhound Lines. The new Florida Greyhound Lines was the first wholly owned subsidiary of The Greyhound Corporation." (Online: </div>
4826Map of Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation CompanyDetailsUnion Pacific Railroad1933
Map Oregon Washington Railroad and Navigation Company
Union Pacific Railroad
$550.00Union-Pacific-RailroadMap-Oregon-Washington-Railroad-and-Navigation-CompanyOriginal cyanotype map (blueprint) of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho with the rail lines and stops of the Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Company ca. 1933. Shows large and small railways some of which are now abandoned. <br></br> This map could be of interest for anyone with an interest in the Rails to Trails Conservancy or the Great American Rail-Trail initiative (a coast-to-coast multi-use trail of over 3,700 miles). Portions of this map includes abandoned tracks that are incorporated into that coast-to-coast trail including the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (C. M. St. P and P.), now a part of the <b>Palouse to Cascades State Park Trail</b>. <br></br> Great detail and names of mountains in the Cascades Range including Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens, Mount Adams, and Mount Hood. Coverage extends past Seattle to Everett, Washington. <br></br> The Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company operated from 1896 after a consolidation of several smaller railroads. Union Pacific (UP) purchased a majority stake of the line in 1898. In 1910 the line became a subsidiary of UP titled the <b>Oregon–Washington Railroad and Navigation Company.</b> Union Pacific formally absorbed the smaller railway into its system in 1936. <br></br> Dated 1933 based on 2 other similar items purchased in the same lot, each from the Chief Engineer's Office. <br></br> In the 1930's, minor abandonments of the company's Oregon lines included the partial abandonment of the line to Homestead, as well as joint operation with the Spokane, Portland & Seattle of the Oregon Trunk railroad line from the Columbia River south to Bend. <br></br> Drawn by REB. Published by the office of the Chief Engineer, Portland, Oregon.
4914Tourists' handbill with a map from St. Augustine Florida.DetailsAnonymous1939
Large fold-out tourist handbill with map Saint Augustine, Florida
$180.00AnonymousLarge-fold-out-tourist-handbill-with-map-Saint-Augustine--FloridaScarce tourists' handbill with a map from St. Augustine Florida, ca. 1938. On very thin paper almost certainly designed to be discarded, hence a rare survivor. <br /><br /> Recto filled with information about points of interest on the map including the: <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>Fort Marion National Monument</li> <li>Indian Burial Ground</li> <li>Llambias House</li> <li>Slave Market</li> <li>Plaza de la Constitution</li> <li>St. Augustine Ostrich-Alligator Farm</li> <li>Marine Studios</li> </ul> </div> Verso with facts and statistics about St. Augustine, and St. John's County, Florida.
4836Scarce waterproof WWII survival map for the north Atlantic Ocean.DetailsNavigators and Engineer Officers Union1942
WWII Atlantic Survival Chart NEOU
Navigators and Engineer Officers Union
$300.00Navigators-and-Engineer-Officers-UnionWWII-Atlantic-Survival-Chart-NEOUScarce, waterproof privately-published WWII survival map for the north Atlantic Ocean from 1942. Only one other copy of this chart is found online, attributed as a lifeboat chart. Odd that we don't see more of these charts. Published by the Navigators and Engineer Officers Union. <br></br> Although the Battle of the Atlantic had been underway since 1939 it was in January, 1942 that the first U.S. forces arrived in Britain and the first U-boats reached US waters, in total sinking almost 6,266,000 tons of shipping in 1942 alone. This chart, on waxed linen, was intended for use in a lifeboat or raft of an Allied vessel. <br></br> The front chart contains current indicators and arrow diagrams for indicating wind directionality and average wind speed. The chart was to be used: <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> "1) By men on rafts to estimate their drift from a known position and to help in choosing a course of action. 2) By officers directing air-sea rescue operations to help in choosing the search area and the method of search." </div> <br /> The verso of the chart contains textual descriptions of "Average Fog Conditions Over the North Atlantic". <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> "Issued by the Navigators and Engineer Officers Union in War-time service to Members with grateful acknowledgement to Messrs. Kelvin, Bottomley & Baird, Ltd. And Henry Hughes & Son for their assistance and help." </div> <br /> Published by the Navigators and Engineer Officers Union, 78 Leadenhall Street, London, E.C.3. The Navigators and Engineer Officers Union was formed in 1935 to take on the trade union functions of its predecessor Navigators and General Insurance Company Ltd. William Harry Coombs(1893-1969) served as the organization's General Secretary until 1943. (Longford, Mark. Navigators & General. Spring, 2011. Online). Bottom right corner: "M.B.F."
4922Poster from WWII related to the fall of Singapore.DetailsAnonymous1942
Poster of Singapore captured and occupied by the Japanese
$600.00AnonymousPoster-of-Singapore-captured-and-occupied-by-the-JapaneseFolding poster from WWII related to the fall of Singapore, once thought to be the "Gibraltar of the East", to the Japanese in February 1942. Portuguese text. <br /><br /> In "Singapura em poder dos japoneses" four views show Japanese soldiers stalking through the jungle and marching in formation with tanks, and Japanese warplanes strafing the airport. Inset map at center shows the supply lines from the Allies to Singapore interrupted or cut (shows scissors) and numerous British and American bases captured throughout the South China Sea , the Philippines, and Malaya. <br /><br /> At bottom: "A castello forte britanico na Grande Asia foi desbarratado Churchill e Roosevelt tambem ali perderam a jogo" reflecting the magnitude and impact of the defeat. <br /><br /> Verso with text related to Singapore and details of the conflict in Asia. <br /><br /> [Singapora, Singapura, Singapour]
4929Master plan for development of Warm Mineral Springs, Fla.DetailsMosby Engineering Associates1954
Warm Mineral Springs Venice Florida Master Plan 1954
Mosby Engineering Associates
$300.00Mosby-Engineering-AssociatesWarm-Mineral-Springs-Venice-Florida-Master-Plan-1954The 1954 master development plan for Warm Mineral Springs. With manuscript notations related to access road conditions and to existing construction as far in the past as 1949. Based on the notations it appears that in 1954 the site was in the very early statge of development, with only a few structures existing. <br/><br/> Warm Salt Springs, Inc. later Warm Mineral Springs, Inc. controlled 748 acres with ownership by Leo and Margarete Scharf , Dr. J.A. Mease and H.W. Meyer. In order to enhance the property and expedite its development the Scharfs approached Dr. Mease concerning the possibility of constructing a therapeutic clinic on-site. In 1954 Dr. Mease, agreed that for a share in the corporation he would build a clinic on land granted to him near the springs and that he should have "exclusive use of the waters for therapeutic purposes." The clinic's proposed location lies at the southeast corner of the main spring, labeled "Warm Mineral Springs". <br/><br/> Dated within at 7-19-54 for Mr. Leo. Scharf of Venice, Florida. By Mosby Engineering Associates, 2190 Ringling Blvd. Sarasota, Florida. Drawn by C.G. Scale: 1 inch= 300 feet. <br/><br/> Source online: ( Mease v. Warm Mineral Springs, Inc., 128 So. 2d 174 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1961) ).
4932Plat of land at Lake Sarasota, Florida.DetailsMosby Engineering Associates1955
Lake Sarasota Florida Unit 10 Plat and Survey
Mosby Engineering Associates
$180.00Mosby-Engineering-AssociatesLake-Sarasota-Florida-Unit-10-Plat-and-SurveyPlat and survey for Unit 10 of the Lake Sarasota Subdivision at Lake Sarasota, Florida. <br/><br/> By Mosby Engineering Associates, 2190 Ringling Blvd. Sarasota, Florida.
4933Rube Allyn's Fishing Map for Lake OkeechobeeDetailsAllyn, Rube1960
Scarce Rube Allyns Authentic Fishing Map Lake Okeechobee Florida
Allyn, Rube
$250.00Allyn--RubeScarce-Rube-Allyns-Authentic-Fishing-Map-Lake-Okeechobee-FloridaScarce, presumed first edition of Rube Allyn's Authentic Fishing Map (ca. 1960), for Lake Okeechobee, Florida. Drawn by Erland M. Larson. Published by the Great Outdoors Association, Pier 63, Central Basin, St, Petersburg, Fla. Price when issued 25 cents. <br/><br/> Includes Moore Haven, Clewiston, Lake Harbor, Pahokee. Much interesting local detail such as Peanut Shirling's Camp, Dewey's Camp, Fish Eating Creek, Bill Johnson's Fishing Camp, Slim's Fish Camp, Port Mayaca, and the cross-state waterway.
4935Matthew Maury's scarce thematic chart of whale sightings.DetailsMaury, Matthew Fontaine1960
Maury's Whale Chart 4th Edition
Maury, Matthew Fontaine
$2,400.00Maury--Matthew-FontaineMaury-s-Whale-Chart-4th-EditionRare thematic chart of reported whale sightings by geographic area, whale species, and relative number of sightings. An early example of the graphical display of quantitative information for decision making. <br></br> Matthew Maury's Whale Chart, was first issued by the United States Bureau of Ordnance & Hydrography in 1851. This is the fourth (4th.) edition, from the United State Hydrographical Office in the 1960s. <br/></br/> Upper top left position with logo of eagle over an anchor surrounded by text: "United States Hydrographical Office". Top right position reads "Catalog: Introduction. Part 1.". Bottom right position reads "Price 50 cents / H.O. Miscel. No. 8514" Mid-20th-century electrotype on wove paper. This instance of Maury's whale chart carries two unknown blue ink accession hand stamps in the far bottom right margin: "June 23, 1969." and "Accession no. [in MS] 763." <br></br> Shows best whaling areas and migration patterns for sperm whales and right whales, as well as the most densely populated areas and areas of "Straggling" Sperm Whales and Right Whales.
4928Pictorial map advertisement for computer networking.DetailsDigital Equipment Corporation1972
Early Pictorial Map Advertising ARPA Network pre-Internet
Digital Equipment Corporation
$225.00Digital-Equipment-CorporationEarly-Pictorial-Map-Advertising-ARPA-Network-pre-InternetI'll see your Timothy Edward Downs and raise you 20. <br /><br /> Very early pictorial map advertisement for Digital Equipment Corporation or DEC, for their DEC10 Supercomputer as a key part of the ARPA network. With the introduction of the TCP-IP protocols, ARPANET grew rapidly in size and within less than 20 years evolved into the Internet. <br /><br /> ARPA stands for Advanced Research Projects Agency, a U.S. Defense Department agency responsible for leading-edge technical research. Beginning in 1967, by 1969 the ARPANET network interconnected four supercomputers, in 1970 - 9 supercomputers and by 1972 - 24 supercomputers . <br /><br /> The ad shows the location of ARPANET supercomputers, generally large universities and research institutions; the interconnections between those supercomputers; and the data exchanged between the computers. <br /><br /> In the early 1970's networking concepts were poorly understood and the artist uses common pictograms as metaphors as an aid to understanding. Without exception each university/research Supercomputing center is represented by old white men in suits, most with ties (NASA Ames the exception). Names of each institution appears on the outstretched arms of the old white men as they extend into the cube of another instiituton with an old white man. By Digital Equipment Corporation, Maynard, Massachusetts, run by old white men in the 1970's.
4919Presentation plan for Earth Station One theme park.DetailsHelman Hurley Charvat Peacock Architects1999
Earth Station One - Proposed Development on Florida's Space Coast
Helman Hurley Charvat Peacock Architects
$500.00Helman-Hurley-Charvat-Peacock-ArchitectsEarth-Station-One---Proposed-Development-on-Florida-s-Space-CoastFlorida's theme and amusement parks flourish and serve as attractions for millions of out-of-state tourists: Walt Disney World, SeaWorld, Universal Studios, and many more. This 16"x11" presentation plan represents the proposal for one such theme park that failed to gain traction, Earth Station One (ES-1), a concept from the firm of Helman Hurley Charvat Peacock Architects, Inc. <br></br> The ES-1 idea was conceived by Winston W. "Bud" Gardner as way of exploring the potential development of a 345 acre site on Florida's Space Coast near Cape Canaveral. ES-1 was to be a tourist attraction "emphasizing the unique co-existence of nature and technology in the area." <br></br> As conceived in the presentation plan, the development would support a mixed use attraction with retail, food, beverage, and lodging. <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> "Earth Station One is a fictional interplanetary gateway between worlds that allows visitors to be teleported to far away planets and civilizations. The concept focuses on the emphasis and understanding of ecological conditions of the earth through the entertaining exposure to other worlds." </div> <br /> Cartographic artifacts include pages containing: <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>1. A site location context map of the Space Coast area and a small detail inset map of the site location, all superimposed on a birds-eye view photographic image of the proposed site and nearby roads.</li> <li>2. A site relationship diagram (map) showing the general location of the key conceptual features of the park including a space concourse, a time share village, parking, a conference center, an eco-adventure zone and more.</li> <li>3. A master plan with detailed design and landscape for the attraction.</li> <li>4. A oblique birds-eye view of the proposed development as seen facing west.</li> </ul> </div>