Manuscript Artifacts


 Thumbnail CreatorDateTitle / Author / Date / LocationPrice  Description
1050Manuscript port plan of the Bahia de Cienfuegos, Cuba.DetailsReal Escuela de Navegacion1735
Early Manuscript plan of Cienfuegos Bay (Puerto de Jagua)
Real Escuela de Navegacion
1735
LOC:
$5,000.00Real-Escuela-de-NavegacionEarly-Manuscript-plan-of-Cienfuegos-Bay-(Puerto-de-Jagua)Pen and ink manuscript port plan of the Bahia de Cienfuegos, Cuba dating to the first half of the 18th century: "Puerto de Jagua". This is the earliest available manuscript plan of that important bay on the south coast of Cuba and is a near perfect copy of a map held in the Library of Congress (https://www.loc.gov/item/91680835/). The existence of multiple manuscript copies of the same chart is explained by the fact that the chart was produced by the Real Escuela de Navegación in Cadiz, whose role was to ensure the accuracy and consistency of maps produced for naval and commercial shipping and to house the growing record of maps and charts related to Spain's vast empire. Copyists at the school would have reproduced numerous identical copies by hand for distribution to military and commerical maritime users. During this time period few maps of Spain's New World possessions were reproduced by printing press, presumeably in order to limit their distribution. Spain's jealous secrecy over their colonial possessions is well documented. <br></br> The title and key are located within a frame at lower left; the chart shows coastline, coastal features, soundings, navigational hazards, an anchorage, a few buildings, roads, and streams. <br></br> Dating the map depends chiefly on its depiction of the location marked "B"- "lomas estrecho de la entrada" (Translated: Hilly narrow entrance). This site would later become the site of a fort or Castillo (Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua) founded in 1745. On this chart, the fact that no mention is made of any structure suggests the map dates to before 1733 when construction on the fort began. On a later manuscript version for example that spot is defined as "es donde esta el Castillo, que es donde estaba la Bateria de ?[Fagina] (Translated: Where the castle is, which is where the Battery of ?? was.") <br></br> Note: "jagua" may be translated from Spanish as "Fruit of the custard-apple."
3577I8th century hydrographic map of the Fayoum or Arsinoe.DetailsAnonymous1750
MS 18th century hydrographic map of the Fayoum Region - Egypt - Arsinoe - Lake Moeris
Anonymous
1750
LOC:
$17,000.00AnonymousMS-18th-century-hydrographic-map-of-the-Fayoum-Region---Egypt---Arsinoe---Lake-MoerisRare detailed, unsigned French manuscript hydrographic map of the Fayoum region of Egypt “the Land of the Lake” with Lake Moeris (Qarun). With an elevation view and floor plan of a building considered to be the "Labyrinthe" mentioned by Herodotus. Ca. 1720 - 1750. Possibly the earliest map to focus on the Fayoum reqion. <br></br> This 18th century MS map locates archaeological sites and features the extensive network of rivers, streams, and canals that emptied into Lake Moeris from the Nile River via the Bahr Yusuf canal. Shows seven smaller canals from the Bahr Yusuf emptying into "Lake Moeris ou de Caron Nomne a presant Lac de la Corne". The hydrography and naming (ex. "Lac de la Corne", "Chateau de Caron") are similar to <a href="https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b531002007/f1.item.zoom" target="_blank">Claude Sicard's map of Egypt</a> copied in MS by Guillaume Delisle in 1726. <br></br> The Fayoum (also Fayum, Faioum) region was once the center of the cult of Sobek, an Egyptian deity associated with the crocodile. Medinet el-Faiyum or Shedet was the ancient regional capital. The town was called "Crocodilopolis" by the Greeks (renamed Arsinoë by the Romans). Camels and crocodile are shown near the southwest shore of the lake with several pyramids, grottos, ruins, and Coptic Christian sites. <br></br> The map wrongly identifies the Ptolomaic temple at Qasr Qaroun as the Labyrinth described by Herodotus. <br></br> French explorers who first visted the Fayoum region include Paul Lucas (1714-17), Jomard (1800), P.D. Martin (1801), and Linant de Bellefonds (1821). By 1800 Edme-Francois Jomard in "Emplacement de l'ancien lac Moaris et du Labyrinthe dans le Fayoum d'après tous les Auteurs" had correctly determined that the site of the Labyrinth lay not at Qasr Qaroun, but rather at a mud-brick temple near Hawara. Our estimated date of this map to the 18th century rests on this timeline and on dates of other maps from the same purchase.
4940French manuscript chart of the island of Diego Garcia.DetailsAnonymous1809
Manuscript chart of the island of Diego Garcia
Anonymous
1809
LOC:88
$1,375.00AnonymousManuscript-chart-of-the-island-of-Diego-GarciaFrench manuscript chart of the island of Diego Garcia. Diego Garcia, a coral atoll, is the largest and southernmost member of the Chagos Archipelago, in the central Indian Ocean. <br/><br/> Dated on or near May 2, 1809 when the French Governor of Mauritius Decaen granted rights over the island to Cayeux, the Didier brothers, and Lapotaire. Lapotaire was reported to have over 100 slaves working his copra plantation in 1809. The map clearly shows those three land holdings, with Didier at the southern end of the island. (Cawley, Charles. Colonies in Conflict: The History of the British Overseas Territories. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 2015.) <br/></br/> "Portuguese explorers discovered Diego Garcia in the early 1500s. The islands remained uninhabited until the 18th century when the French established coconut and copra plantations with the help of slave labor. Diego Garcia became a possession of the United Kingdom after the Napoleonic wars, and from 1814 to 1965, it was a dependency of Mauritius." (Source: https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispeedia/wpcd/wp/d/Diego_Garcia.htm)
4788 Spanish chart / port plan of Barcelona, Spain.DetailsDireccion Hidrografia1813
Rare Antique Plan of the Port and Anchorage at Barcelona, Spain
Direccion Hidrografia
1813
LOC:
$350.00Direccion-HidrografiaRare-Antique-Plan-of-the-Port-and-Anchorage-at-Barcelona--SpainVery interesting antique Spanish chart / port plan of Barcelona, Spain on the Mediterranean Sea. One of 16 charts and plans published by Spain's Direccion Hidrografia in the rare Spanish hydrographic atlas: "Portulano de las Costas de la Península de España, Islas adyacentes, y parte de la Costa de Africa. Construido y publicado en la Direccion Hidrografica, Cadiz ano 1813." <br></br> With (now faded) MS dedication and attached anchoring instructions, both in English. The dedication read "Presented by W??????? To his fd (friend?) Mr. Fleming Cadiz July 12, 1816." That date is 3 years after the atlas was first issued from Cadiz. <br></br> Scarce, no copy in AMPR <br></br> Included manuscript sailing directions reads <div class="indenttextblock"> "In the outside Harbour of Barcelona to protect yourself of the E. and S.E. winds, anchor as follows= The light with the Tower of Merced and the coast of Garaf open on the south of Montjuif, anchoring in 18 - 25 f[athoms]mostly sand, from which … an east wind you can pass the Llobregat." </div> <BR/> A circled spot on the map with light penciled isobaths (contour lines) at 10 and 20 fathoms seem to support the anchoring recommendation in the sailing directions. <br></br> Depth soundings are in "pies castellanos" ( 1 Castillian foot = .2786 m or .914 feet).
972Antique manuscript map of Bagueau and Port-Cros, in the îles d'Hyères.DetailsPinot, Charles1816
Antique manuscript map of Bagueau and Port-Cros in France's îles d'Hyères
Pinot, Charles
1816
LOC:58
$900.00Pinot--CharlesAntique-manuscript-map-of-Bagueau-and-Port-Cros-in-France-s-îles-d-HyèresOne of a kind, 200 year-old manuscript topographic map of the French Mediterranean island Île de Bagueau and the north coast of Port-Cros island. Signed and dated within by Ch[arles] Pinot, Director of Fortifications in 1816. <br></br> Topograhic detail shown through faint contour lines in pencil with benchmarks and elevation stated in several locations. Three cannon batteries noted in red on Bagueau. On Port-Cros, Pinot noted these features: Presqu'ile de Malalenge, Plage de Jeannet, Batterie Sud, and Chateau Ruine. <br></br> Both Île de Bagueau and Port-Cros belong to the îles d'Hyères, a group of four Mediterranean islands off the village of Hyères in the Var department of south-east France. Île de Bagueau at 45 hectares is the smallest of the four islands in the group. Port-Cros, at 650 hectares, is a French national Park. <br></br> Signed in French in faint ink: Toulon, 5th October, 1816 The Colonel and Director of Fortifcations Charles Pinot. A note in ink below the title begins: "La partie de terrain marquee…". <br></br> With a faint red oval overstamp of the "DEPOT de la Direction des Fortifications DE TOULON"
335Manuscript military plan of Gibraltar fortress from 1828DetailsMeyer, C.1828
Gibraltar (Manuscript plan)
Meyer, C.
1828
LOC:8
$610.00Meyer--C-Gibraltar--(Manuscript-plan)Unique manuscript military/engineering architectural plan of the Landport (northern) defences of the fortress at Gibraltar from the Innundation, past the Devil's Tongue battery, and the old mole. Two cross sections, one through the north wall (with measurements) and one through the west wall. A high degree of detail shown about the bastions and cannon emplacements. <br></br> Several dozen measurements in miniscule red script. Contains a small sketch of what appears to be a cave entrance. With watermark "Whatman 1828". Signed "Egina der 7 September 1828 C. Meyer".
749Manuscript theatre playbill from a East India Company ship.DetailsAnonymous1846
Antique Manuscript Playbill from the East India Company Ship Herefordshire
Anonymous
1846
LOC:1
$2,100.00AnonymousAntique-Manuscript-Playbill-from-the-East-India-Company-Ship-HerefordshireVery unusual and scarce manuscript theatrical playbill from a known British East India Company trading ship dated within at January 23, 1846. <br></br> On long voyages in order to entertain passengers, ships would sometimes offer music, dancing, and plays to make the tedious journey more enjoyable. This rare survivor documents such a theatrical offering aboard the East Indiaman "Herefordshire" as it returned from a voyage that began in London in 1845 and terminated in Bombay, India on Feb. 28, 1846 [1]. <br></br> The Herefordshire was an old 40-gun, 1600 ton teak-built ship of the East India Company, launched in Bombay in 1812 by John Money. Her Captain was George Richardson. <br></br> This rare playbill reads: "THEATRE ROYAL of the HEREFORDSHIRE Under the Distinguished Patronage of the LADIES & CAPTAIN RICHARDSON Jan 23rd 1846. This Evening her Majesty's Servants will perform a New Drama entitled the PENRYN TRAGEDY, with New Scenery, Dresses, &c. </br> ...</br> ...</br> Act 1st Scene 1st</br> The Sailors of HER MAJESTY's SHIP Brittannia making merry in the Green Dragon.</br> ...</br> ...</br> The Whole to Conclude with the Popular Farce BILLY BUTTON the TAILOR ...</br> ..</br> Doors open at 6 o'clock. Performance to commence at 7. For tickets of Admission apply to Mr. Maynard, Stage Manager No. 9 Starboard Terrace, Capstan Square, Gun deck road. … <br></br> This rare, unusual and interesting piece of nautical ephemera should interest collectors of both the theater and nautical history. It is a document from the end of the East India Company's control of India. The East India Company dissolved in 1858 with Britain exerting direct control after the India Rebellion of 1857. Watermarked "Ward and Son. 1842." <br></br> [1] "Allen's Indian Mail and Register of Intelligence for British and Foreign India." 1845 and 1846. </br> [2] Berncastle, Julius. "A Voyage to China". William Shoberl. London, 1850.
1108Maltese Tugboat rate sheet from 1856 with manuscript invoice.DetailsSteam Tug Agency1856
Rate Sheet and Invoice for Maltese Steam Tug Dragon
Steam Tug Agency
1856
LOC:
$260.00Steam-Tug-AgencyRate-Sheet-and-Invoice-for-Maltese-Steam-Tug-DragonFascinating piece of mid-nineteenth century Maltese maritime history. Tugboat rate sheet with manuscript invoice for towing services performed by the steam tug "Dragon". The Dragon was a 40 horsepower paddle-wheel steam tug operating out of the port of Valetta, Malta, then a part of the British Empire. <div class="indenttextblock"> …. "the arrival of steam propulsion opened a new chapter in the history of Maltese maritime trade. The port of Valletta became an important bunkering station and this position was further strengthened with the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869.<br> …<br> The ‘Dragon’ was one of the earliest steam tugboats operating in the Grand Harbour and Marsamxett. She arrived at Malta from Newcastle early in December 1855 and on arrival she was immediately placed in service under the command of Captain William Donkin. A circular distributed to the commercial community by the owners of the ‘Dragon’ makes interesting reading. ( First International Merchant Bank 2002 Annual Report. <a href="https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwjY7uSp9s_NAhXC5CYKHW1kCl4QFgguMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fimbank.com%2Ffile.aspx%3Ff%3D654&usg=AFQjCNFNxUU_FaX6kLpA-GcOiolsVGSm6g&sig2=K9DkC_MLyepdArQHbbV5WQ&cad=rja " target="_blank">Internet</a> </div> <br> <em>"NOTICE TO SHIPMASTERS <br></br> The steam Tug "Dragon" tows vessels in and out and about the ports of Valetta at the following rates: …<br> …<br> … The signal to be used by vessels coming from seaward or in port requiring the tug's services will be to hoist the national ensign at the fore topgallant or royal mast head. Special services subject to agreement with John C. Swift, ship-chandler Malta or Capt. William Donkin on board."</em>
4847Map of Caillat's civic renovation project for Algiers, Algeria in 1858DetailsVigouroux and Caillat1858
Algiers, Algeria City Renewal Proposal 1858
Vigouroux and Caillat
1858
LOC:
$1,150.00Vigouroux-and-CaillatAlgiers--Algeria-City-Renewal-Proposal-1858Rock the Casbah! <br></br> Rare lithographed map of a proposed renovation and expansion project for Algiers in 1858. By Vigououx, surveyor and Caillat of France's Ponts and Chaussees (Bridges and Roads). At bottom left, the map is dedicated in manuscript ink, signed by the author (Caillat) to Colonel Marengo, then the Mayor of the commune of Douéra. Just a few years previously Marengo had been Commander of the Citadel of Algiers or the Casbah, and apparently still retained some influence. The citadelle or Casbah is shown marked near bottom right, but in a broader sense the Casbah was <div class="indenttextblock"> "the ancient core of Algiers, the triangular-shaped town carved into the hills facing the Mediterranean … the sea forms the base of the triangle; a citadel is at the triangle's summit. (Celik, Zeeynep. Algiers under French Rule in "Urban Forms and Colonial Confrontations. University of California Press. 1997.) </div> <br></br> Shows the "rivage actuel" or the existing shoreline with the new construction that would occur to complete the project in those areas. <br></br> Background: the French invaded Algeria in 1830. In 1834, Algeria became a French military colony and was subsequently declared by the constitution of 1848 to be an integral part of France and divided into three departments: Alger, Oran and Constantine.
4866Manuscript map of Rockland Maine waterfront.DetailsRose, Edwin1872
Manuscript cadastral map of Snow Shipyard Portland, Maine.
Rose, Edwin
1872
LOC:
$1,675.00Rose--EdwinManuscript-cadastral-map-of-Snow-Shipyard-Portland--Maine-Large manuscript map by Edwin Rose of the Snow Farwell and Company property in Rockland, Maine dated within to July 5th, 1872. A rare and informative map of the waterfront at south Rockland, Maine with a detailed record of shoreline and structures as they existed 150 years ago. <br></br> A few of the key features Rose noted include Mechanic Street, two marine railways and a marine railway wharf, apparently part of Snow Farwell & Co. The two octagonal building above the railways are almost certainly sheds for horse-powered winches. At bottom left a wharf surrounds <br></br> Snow Shipbuilding was founded in 1862 by Captain Israel Snow. It was located at the end of Mechanic Street, adjacent to the Cobb, Butler yard. The Snow family sold it to General Seafoods after WWII. The western half is now the Sail, Power and Steam Museum, while the eastern half is still active as Rockland Marine. <br></br> Location fronts on Owl's Head Bay; West Penobscot Bay. Surveyed by Edwin Rose Esq. Drawn by L.L. Buckland. Scale 50 feet to 1 inch.
759Manuscript page with flags and a chart of British ChannelDetailsAnonymous1890
Manuscript page with flags and a chart of British Channel
Anonymous
1890
LOC:7
$450.00AnonymousManuscript-page-with-flags-and-a-chart-of-British-ChannelA small manuscript chart of the English Channel. Decorated at top with the crossed flags of England and France this hand-drawn and hand-colored chart of the British Channel could have been created in the latter half of the 19th century to early 20th century by a British naval student or maritime officer candidate or quite possibly a member of the Sea Cadets Corps or its predecessor, the Naval Lads' Brigade. A legend in English describes features that would be found on a nautical chart of the period such as buoys, rocks, and bearings, but oddly the manuscript map does not contain any of those components with one exception, the Eddystone lighthouse southwest of Plymouth sound. <br></br> The most interesting aspect of the chart is the dotted line suggesting the route of a voyage between ports in England and France including Plymouth, Dartmouth, Torquay, Weymouth, Southampton, Sheerness, Cherbourg, and Guernsey <br></br> At bottom are drawn three signal flags including the Blue Peter, which was often used when preparing to leave port, or as the caption suggests, when requesting a pilot. Of the other two flags, the center flag is confirmed as a French registration flag that indicates that the vessel was registered to the Cherbourg arondissement sector between Dunkirk and Honfleur. According to Sache: <div class="indenttextblock"> "French merchant ships had to hoist at foremast a specific flag indicating in which arrondissement they were registered. The French coasts were divided in five metropolitan maritime arrondissements, each of them being divided in two sectors, and in two colonial sectors. The arrondissement flags were established by Royal Regulation of 3 December 1817, signed by Louis XVIII. They were confirmed in the 1852 Imperial Regulations on naval flags signed by Napoléon III and by Decree on 20 March 1868. " </div> Source: Sache, Ivan. France: Registration flags for merchant ships (1817-1929). Link: flagspot.net/flags/fr~arro.html#che
4856Manuscript survey of Water Reservoir Number 1  at Belfast, Maine.DetailsDanforth, Frederic1890
Manuscript Belfast, Maine Water Company Plan for Robert Elwell
Danforth, Frederic
1890
LOC:
$1,150.00Danforth--FredericManuscript-Belfast--Maine-Water-Company-Plan-for-Robert-ElwellOriginal four-foot wide manuscript survey of Water Reservoir Number 1 at Belfast, Maine. "Plan of Land of the Belfast Water Company Made for Robert Elwell." By Frederic Danforth C.S. Dated within at October, 1890. Laid to linen. <br></br> The Belfast Water Company was founded in 1887 after two major fires (1865, 1871) demonstated the existing water supply was insufficient. Construction began on the reservoir with a 175 foot long dam near the mouth of Little River. Scale 1 inch = 80 feet. <br></br> The water district discontinued using the Little River reservoir in 1980. Today the brick pump house on the north side of the dam serves as the offices of the Belfast Water District. <br></br> <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> Frederick Danforth, son of Judge Charles Danforth, was born in 1848. He graduated from Dartmouth College, specializing in civil engineering. After graduation Danforth settled upon the career of railroad engineering. In 1876, after an engagement with the European and North American railway Danforth established an office in Gardiner, and in 1891 he was elected a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. (Online: http://files.usgwarchives.net/me/kennebec/gardiner/history/ kingsbury/gardiner/kengard.txt.) </div>
4804Fine 19th-century manuscript daymark engineering drawing.DetailsU.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey1894
Antique MS engineering drawing of screw-pile day-mark beacon
U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
1894
LOC:
$500.00U-S--Coast-and-Geodetic-SurveyAntique-MS-engineering-drawing-of-screw-pile-day-mark-beaconFine late 19th-century manuscript engineering drawings of a screw-pile day-beacon designed for the Tobago Middle Ground shoal in the Rappahannock River, Virginia. Probably a product of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. Dated within to 1894. Baltimore, Maryland. <br></br> Manuscript pencil notations: "Not used" and "Historical". <br></br> In a 1896 letter to Congress transmitting estimates of appropriations from the Secretary of the Treasury is a line item for $3,000 for "Establishing a day beacon on or near the Tobago Middle Ground, Rappahannock River, Virginia." A note below the item states: "The middle ground has but four feet of water on it. A prominent mark would be a valuable aid in the navigation of that part of the river." Apparently this request derived from the Lighthouse Board who proposed to build a screw-pile beacon at Tobago as early as 1893. <br></br> Our drawing, from 1894, is annotated with the words "not used". That may very well be because a less expensive solution was adopted. According to the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey Notice to Mariners in 1903 "a black spar buoy, without number, was placed in 15 feet of water on the edge of the shoal opposite the upper end of Tobago Middle Ground."
4979Blueprint or cyanotype map of the San Juan Islands, Washington.DetailsWashington Map and Blueprint Company1895
Cyanotype map of San Juan County, Washington state
Washington Map and Blueprint Company
1895
LOC:
$375.00Washington-Map-and-Blueprint-CompanyCyanotype-map-of-San-Juan-County--Washington-stateEarly blueprint (cyanotype) map of the San Juan Islands including Stuart Island, Waldron Island, Orcas Island, Shaw Island, Blakely Island, Lopez Island, San Juan Island and many more. Numerous water features include the Canal de Haro, San Juan Channel, President Channel, Rosario Strait, Strait of Juan de Fuca, and Thatcher Passage. Manuscript notations in red for several parcels of land on Orcas Island and Lopez Island. <br></br> Scarce. With detached fragmentary front cover of map. Price when issued 50 cents. <br></br> By the Washington Map and Blueprint Company, 607-11 Pacific Block, Seattle, Washington. That company was the successor to the O.P. Anderson Map and Blueprint Company, Engineers and Draughtsmen. Established 1885. <br></br> Printed by Lowman and Hanford Stationery and Printing Company.
4887Four manuscript plats of Kentucky real estate.DetailsStewart, John Frew1900
Four manuscript survey plats of Kentucky land.
Stewart, John Frew
1900
LOC:13
$100.00Stewart--John-FrewFour-manuscript-survey-plats-of-Kentucky-land-One lot of four manuscript plats of Kentucky real estate on surveyors' tracing cloth from ca. 1900. Attributed to John Frew Stewart of Paintsville, Kentucky. Includes a MS list of other maps sent out by Stewart in 1900. <br></br> John Frew Stewart (1833-1906) studied law at the office of Moore and Gallup at Louisa, and obtained a license to practice law in 1860. He was elected county attorney for Lawrence County, Kentucky in August, 1862. The next month Frew joined the Union army as a private and swiftly obtained the rank of Second Lieutenant in the Thirty-ninth Kentucky volunteers and again as major of his regiments in November, 1864. Stewart held several government positions including Deputy Collector for the Internal Revenue, county school commissioner, and county judge. <br></br> Proceeding clockwise from upper left the maps include: <div class="indenttextblocksingle"> <ul style="list-style-type: circle;"> <li>Adam Harmon Farm, 600 acres situated on a branch of the Stillwater River in Wolfe County, 5 miles from Campton. Size: 9" X 8"</li> <li>Plat of 131 3/4 acres tract on a branch of Gladys Creek. Rowan County, KY.</li> <li>Signed list of maps and plots</li> <li>Plat of land of 139 acres on the Tire Branch of White Oak Creek in Mugoffin, Co. Kentucky</li> <li>Plat of 250 acres on the left fork of Craney Creek, Morgan County, KY.</li>
1443 Beautiful manuscript or map of Guadeloupe in Caribbean.DetailsRaggio, Antonio1939
Manuscript map of the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe
Raggio, Antonio
1939
LOC:5
$300.00Raggio--AntonioManuscript-map-of-the-Caribbean-island-of-GuadeloupeBeautiful manuscript map of Guadeloupe (Isla Guadalupe), part of the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean Sea. Includes the Isles des Saintes and Maria Galante Island. Fine detail with rivers, mountains, and cities identified. Includes a separate matching fact sheet on the island in Spanish. Both on light card stock. <br></br> By Antonio F. Raggio as one in a series of ink and watercolor maps on cards prepared for the Exposicion Filatelica Internacional 11th Congreso de la Union Postal Universal (World Postal Congress), held in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1939. It is likely that the manuscript cards were proof drawings or models for the engraving of stamps.
4845Manuscript G.I. map from World War 2 era of Vita Levu, Fiji.DetailsAnonymous1945
WWII MS Cartoon Map of Vita Levu, Fiji Islands
Anonymous
1945
LOC:88
$320.00AnonymousWWII-MS-Cartoon-Map-of-Vita-Levu--Fiji-IslandsArtistically produced manuscript G.I. pictorial map from World War 2 era of Fiji's largest island, Vita Levu. Full of small cartoonish drawings of island life, especially as related to the military with Div. HQ. Suva noted near Suva Bay and Natambua OCS (Officer Candidate School). <br></br> Some of the cartoons could suggest a feature in a specific geographic area on Vita Levu but other drawings seem to commemorate group events like a fishing expedition to the nearby Yasawa islands. Viewed as a graphical record of a trip to OCS, the map would document the group's arrival by cargo ship, their overland trip to the OCS by car and then train, passing an airbase; then their arrival and recreation at OCS including swimming and fishing. At mid right a grass-skirted long-haired native offers a G.I. a drink of Fiji's national beverage, Kava. <br></br> There was threat of Japanese invasion for the majority of 1942 and part of 1943, which resulted in a build up of military forces and defensive installations. However, World War 2 never reached Vita Levu or any Fijian Island in the South Pacific. In later years, Fiji was used as a forward base for the Allied forces, which resulted in the construction of transportation infrastructure, as well as an influx of Allied troops and supplies coming into the island. Dated as 1945 with the view that fishing expeditions would have been frowned upon in a potential combat theater, thus post-dates WWII.
3629Detailed mid 20th-century manuscript chart of Cape Cod.DetailsNickerson, K.F.1955
Manuscript chart of Cape Cod, Massachusetts Bay, Provincetown
Nickerson, K.F.
1955
LOC:88
$450.00Nickerson--K-F-Manuscript-chart-of-Cape-Cod--Massachusetts-Bay--ProvincetownAn interesting manuscript chart of Cape Cod and Cape Cod Bay in black and red ink. Not only does the chart have a different look than a printed chart but the item raises questions as to why so much care was placed on its creation. Signed by K.F. Nickerson and dated to February 1955. <br></br> Detailed mid 20th-century manuscript chart of Cape Cod, Massachusetts Bay and Cape Cod Bay. The MS chart is drawn on the verso of an earlier chart from 1935. Nickerson apparently cannibalized an old chart simply to create his chart on the back. We don't know why Nickerson spent so much time on the chart but it is evident he spent hours meticulously copying from an unknown source. Perhaps the map was constructed for sale as a tourist keepsake. More likely it had some utility to Nickerson in his occupation, because the chart detail is at a granular level that could be used for navigation. <br></br> Contains info on radio beacons, depth soundings, maritime hazards, aids to navigation and much more. Scale 1/2 inch = 1 mile.